I’m not a skin expert by any means but I felt compelled to share the reasons behind me wearing less and less makeup!
After I had Grace, my skin totally changed. I used to be super low maintenance with my skin and didn’t need any special cleansers or lotions, but all that changed with pregnancy! My skin became so dry and sensitive, and I suffered with hormonal acne for years after Grace was born. It was devastating honestly. It’s one thing to be able to pinpoint the problem and have a straightforward solution, but it’s just stupidly annoying to wakeup everyday with small bumps all over your face that you can’t do anything about!
I mean there wasn’t one cleanser, toner, or moisturizer in the world that I didn’t try but nothing worked. There would be periods of time where my skin would be clear and respond well and then these pesky pimples would return. I didn’t see a true lasting change until I went vegan for a month in 2016. I think that was really a reset button on my hormones & life at the time!
I was not only vegan but gave up all processed foods and sugar. I was basically making all my meals and snacks from scratch at home. It was SO much work but I can honestly say that it made me more conscious of how one meal could make me feel and because I knew exactly what I was eating I could gage how my body responded to certain things. I highly recommend trying it. I was sooooo thankful for the change this brought in my skin. Although it is far from perfect and I still get the one-off bump or pimple, it actually responds to products & care, which is all I can ask for!
Once I began to experiment with products, I saw the most glow and health in my skin by following this formula: gentle gel cleanser, serum, oil, and moisturizer. No matter what brand I may be trying at the time, I always use a combination of these things. I’ve seen such a brightness in my complexion and smoothing of my skin and texture.
These are a few of my favorites that I seem to always repurchase:
- OLEHENRIKSEN Face the Truth Gel Cleanser – This is a vitamin C infused cleanser that is gentle but thorough.
- Caudalíe Paris S.O.S Thirst Quenching Serum – Serums are life changing and this is one of my favorites! It absorbs quickly and makes my skin feel alive.
- OLEHENRIKSEN Truth Serum – This is a product that has done wonders for my complexion over time. Also Vitamin C infused and truly brightens your skin and makes it look and feel more youthful.
- Bio-Oil – This is a drug store buy but I love it! It isn’t heavy, absorbs quickly and has a soothing, healing quality for my sensitive skin. I also used this on my belly every single day when I was pregnant and attribute my lack of stretch marks to this! I only use a very small drop of this and focus mostly around my nose and mouth where I tend to get most redness and dry.
- OLEHENRIKSEN Nurture Me Moisturizing Crème – obviously I’m obsessed with this brand, but especially this moisturizer! It’s a pretty dense formula but this is the first product I’ve used with lasting moisture that doesn’t feel heavy or greasy. It also is great under makeup!
Other than the Bio-Oil, I stumbled across the greatness of these products by trying out trial sizes from Sephora! Sephora always has amazing value sets from some of the best skincare brands. You can try multiple products for a fraction of the price and you almost always get at least one full size product in the set. This has been a great way for me to develop my routine and helps me determine if a product is worth a repurchase.
I’m so pleased with the changes I see in my skin and I know it is because I’ve become more knowledgeable and intentional with how I treat it. And honestly, makeup just looks 10x better when you’re starting with a glowing canvas!
I hope this was helpful! If you try any of these products or want to share something that changed your skincare regimen, please drop a comment below!